Do you want more energy this Spring?
In yoga when we do breathing exercises it’s called Pranayama. Prana means Life Force and ayama means to direct or extend.
Don’t know about you, but as a mother of a small baby, I could do with directing more life force into my weary, sleep deprived body!!
When we bring our conscious awareness to our breath we are directing the breath and building our life force or energy in the body rather than leaking it out. Probably the top way we leak our energy out is through stress. The regular practice of Pranayama helps us to de-stress, calm the mind, strengthen our will power, gain clarity and re-energise.
Here is a very simple breathing technique that you can do daily to increase energy:
- Sit in a comfortable upright position with the spine elongated.
- Close the eyes and visualize a square on the inside of your forehead.
- Take your attention to the bottom left hand corner of the square and inhale for four counts up the left side of the square.
- Hold for 4 counts across the top of the square.
- Exhale for 4 counts down right side of square.
- Hold the breath for 4 counts across the bottom of the square.
- If the 4 count breath is too long then reduce.
- Repeat for 8 rounds.
- Day by day increase the length of the breath.